Western Division Report

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

I would like to start off by thanking all of the veterans in our country, especially all of our members who are veterans. If it wasn't for our veterans we wouldn't enjoy the freedoms we have.

Contract Vote and Future: I would like to thank everyone who voted on the National Grid contract extension. To those that didn't vote, you have missed your opportunity to have a say in your future. We need to think about the future union leaders it the West. Its easy to sit back and watch others do it, but we need members to step forward and get involved and become future leaders of Local 97.

Safety in the Electric Business Unit; Local 97, along with all the National Grid Unions across the US, met with Chris Kelly, the interim Chief Operating Officer. The meeting was led by Dan Bunszell and Chris's management team. The conversation was about a shared safety vision for union and management. Local 97 is committed to the safety of all our members. I also believe that the Electric Business Unit of National Grid is also committed to our safety. This big announcement of a shared safety vision may have you scratching your head, but the company has announced a change on how they will be looking at safety. The electric side of the company will shift more of the focus on 21% of the High Potential Incidents and less focus on disciplines. The HPI is basically a serious injury or fatality. That is not to say that we don't have to worry about the other 79% of the accidents or that disciplines will be going away, but the disciplines should be appropriate and in some cases a learning - coaching session.

Local 97 is a partner in safety with National Grid. We negotiate safety for the greater good of the membership, so we have to believe in safety and will give this every chance for success. Safety is about you along with your family at home and your family here at National Grid.

Together we are committed to creating a more trusting culture that focuses on shared safety beliefs and values.

With that said I am a firm believer in show me. More to come.

National Grid One Company One Way, hopefully we will be meeting with the Gas-CMS side of the house next on a shared safety vision. -Jim Murty IBEW Local 97, Assistant Business Manager - Western Division

Found In: