The IBEW Local 97 women's committee, The Women of the Power and Light Society, are a sponsor for the Ronald McDonald House 5K run/walk and they would love if you could join them for this great event. The run will be held on July 7, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. The race starts and finishes at the Ronald McDonald house. The address is 780 West Ferry Street, Buffalo N.Y. For more details and information call Sue Sweeney at 662-2324.We will also be collecting donations for the Ronald McDonald House off their Wish List. Please try to donate things like K Cups, To Go Coffee Cups, Non Perishable Cream or Paper Towels.
If you are interested in discounted Erie County Fair tickets, please call Morgan at the Union Hall. There prices are: Adults for $6.50, Senior (+60) for $4.50, and Kids under 12 free. You can also purchase 70 ride credits for $23. On September 23rd, we will hold a Union Appreciation Day at Joseph's Country Manor. Tickets will be available soon. There will also be a Benefits Seminar on September 26 to give an explanation to the changes in benefits for 2018.
- Over the summer please remember to be aware of the affects of the sun on your skin. The Skin Cancer Foundation has always recommended using a sunscreen with an SPF 15 or higher as one important part of a complete sun protection regimen. Sunscreen alone is not enough, however. Read our full list of skin cancer prevention tips: • Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Do not burn.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
-Jim Murty, Assistant Business Manager West